I wanted to laugh, but I didn't want to lose sight of him. It's been so long since we've seen each other, but he had no clue that we were at the same school. It was weird. He's in all my classes and I had thought he would remember my name by now, but nothing.
I was in science, sitting beside him. I was going to ask him if he remembered me, if I got the confidence to do so. We said our usual, 'Hello' and 'How's it goin'?'. In the middle of writing a note, I knew that it would bother me if I didn't ask.
"Hey, do you remember me? We were in seventh grade together?"
"Uh...I don't know. What school did you go to?"
"This school. I didn't leave."
"Grade seven. Grade seven." He thought for a minute. "I didn't go to this school in grade seven. I went to JJ Smither's Public Middle School."
"Oh my god. I'm so sorry..." Oh dear. I so did not do that. He so did not tell me that he wasn't the guy I sat behind in seventh grade math. That so did not happen.
Saturday, June 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I'm impressed by your sense of pacing. You set the scene, gave us real time action (dialog), then tied it together with the character's thoughts.
You're not really 12. I've decided. ;)
Thank you Jason! Sometimes I wish I wasn't twelve.
Post a Comment