The first part of this story is a story starter by Jason Evans.
Sarah wanted to look up.
Everything about her was ready. The tension in her neck. The itch at the top of her forehead.
She had to look up.
But the clock ticked on. Slower than her breathing.
Everything swam together. It was coming. Prickling up her neck.
Great.
Just super.
The fuzz in her brain began roaring. She was about three seconds from fainting.
Sarah slowly got up from her seat.
"What now? What if I try going up the stairs? I could faint."
She fell back down to her seat in a slump.
She just had to get up. She tried to pick up the glass full of water on the desk.
It was too heavy. Her wrist was too weak to lift it.
"I've got to get upstairs."
Sarah got up once more, took three steps and fell to the floor.
With her hand on her forehead, Sarah saw the basement door open.
"Sarah?" She looked up. Just mom. "Is everything alright?"
Sarah managed to mutter the words "Yes, everything is fine."
"Okay, well. Ashlee wants to know if you want to sleep over tonight."
Sarah quickly got up from the floor and dashed up the stairs to the phone.
Saturday, July 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
You're funny.
Yes, teenage drama has nothing on a friend's phonecall.
You matched the tone of the opening perfectly! And you really played up the drama with nice descriptions. Well done!
Like your Mom, I got a kick out of the amazing boost of energy the phone call gave. :D
Thank you mother. You know, I do get my humor from you.
Thank you also, Jason. At first I was thinking of going for something else, a different path with the story. After I read your part again, it reminded me of when your sitting on the couch watching tv and you think that there is nothing better to do and then you get a call from a friend to do something and your up and your up and going. I just wish I had a better way to make the last line 'pop' more.
The last line popped great, LP. I do wish you'd told us why she just had to get up those stairs, though.
I don't know why she had to get up the stairs either. I guess I left that part for the reader to decide.
Post a Comment