Best friends for 50 years. Husbands pass away in old age. Now, only with each other to depend on, the two elderly ladies come together and watch reruns of 90210."Brenda, I know you love Dylan, so I let you have him."
"You did what? You thought that I couldn't get him myself? Kelly, are you brain-fried? Do you not have a heart?"
The tv went black for a commercial.
"This reminds me of the time I let you have Frank."
"Darlene, you let me what?" 82 year old Stella said in shock to the 83 year old Darlene.
"I let you have Frank. I was dating him, then I met Joe and Joe seemed so much better for me and you were in love with Frank, so I let Frank go , so you could have him"
"What? Your telling me this after 53 years of marriage to Frank? How could you? Was I not woman enough to get him myself?"
"No, no, you were. But I thought I might help." Darlene took a sip of her water and swallowed her daily medicine.
"Wait, wait, wait. Who dumped who? I remember, do you?"
Darlene's face was blank. She was confused. Oh, golly. She got me. But how? "Um...uh... well, ah..."
"You thought that I would never find out about Frank dumping you. I know about the deal, with you guys agreeing that it was you who did the dumping, " Stella stood from her walker, "Of course he told me. I'm his wife! Guess who needed the help after all? You!" Stella slowly walked out of the room. Darlene hopped on her wheel chair and mechanically wheeled her way after Stella.
''Stella, wait! My batteries are dying! Wait up! I forgot to recharge my chair! Please wait!"
"Yeah, well I'm dying too. So..grrrr to you!"
What will happen next? Will Stella and Darlene make up again? Will Stella slow down for Darlene? Or will Darlene recharge her batteries? Find out soon on the next Pine Valley Retirement Home, 90210.


5 comments:
The vision of the chair running out of juice is hilarious!
You're tackling some ambitious subjects. Bravo!
It's nice that you actually listen when your Nanny tells you a story.
Love the 90210 angle.
Interesting saga, LP. Sadly, it reminded me of the loss of my best friend of thirty+ years. I still hope that someday she'll come around. I'll wait for her.
Thank you, Mother and Jason. I loved the chair running out of batteries things too. I think it makes the story so much greater. Mom, Nanny all ways tells good stories so I'm always sure to listen in.
Southern Writer, sorry for your loss.
LP, you are such a nice person. It's obvious you come from good stock. One of these days, I'm going to have a short story for you, but so far, I haven't had time to write it.
Post a Comment